Mahle Powertrain UK
RiverRouge was hired to manage a turnaround program out of an Interim Plant Management position with full P&L responsibility of a ~30 M operation including two machining sites, two assembly facilities and a casting foundry in the UK Midlands.
RiverRouge Ltd has supported us with the turnaround of our UK Manufacturing Operations in 2012. The consultancy played an instrumental role in implementing a new strategy and stabilising our business operations in the UK. The hands on approach and practical experience of RiverRouge allowed us to fully integrate one of their consultants to head up our UK Manufacturing Operations as an interim part of the management team. This direct influence on the business enabled us to make significant and sustainable improvements in the organisation in a very short timeframe.
We learned to appreciate RiverRouge as a very professional and valuable partner in times when difficult decisions and actions had to be taken. The consultant was always reliable and the level of commitment and motivation he put into his work made us feel as if he was personally interested in our success. This quickly built up a lot of trust and faith into our relationship.
We intend to continue our work with RiverRouge in 2013 and recommend this consultancy as a very strong partner to support organisations with their turnaround programs.
Head of Manufacturing Operations Mahle Germany
- Break Even achieved after 1.5 years and profitability reached after 2 years
- Restructuring of the Management Team and responsibilities
- Consolidation of two assembly sites into one and the elimination of a storage facility to save rental costs
- Extension of the main machining site through a flexible canopy solution to house end of line stock which was blocking valuable powered machine floor space
- Consolidation of manufacturing staff to align with customer demand
- Transformation of Shopfloor layouts to create flexible flow lines with one-piece-flow concepts
- Implementation of Flow on the production lines by eliminating high set-up and high cycle-times
- Increase of labour efficiency by introduction of Kaizen workshops to eliminate waste and in-balance on the production lines
- Ramp-up of two additional machining lines for the two of the key automotive customers
- Ramp-up of a new engine assembly line with the capacity of about 15000 Engines per year
- Stabilisation of manufacturing quality to get of the ‘red’ supplier list of three key customers
- Recertification for ISO TS
- Implementation of Shopfloor Management to enable structured problem solving
- Systematic Teamleader training to embed lean principle knowledge
- Introduction of Policy Deployment and a KPI structure to establish performance management through-out the departments
- Continuous Flow
- Total Preventive Maintenance
- Operator Balancing – Yamazumi
- Shopfloor Management
- Plan Do Check Act – Systematic Problem Solving
- Policy Deployement
- Kaizen Workshops
- Flexible Manpower System Design